14 February 2022

School has been going swimmingly for the past few years: always a challenge, sometimes overwhelming, but always glowing because of my students. But this quarantine.....

I love my students, and I love my subject, in that order. Every day in class is a group performance for me, and them, I hope. So doing my work with them across the digital world is unsatisfying (Breakfast Club allusion). I have always loved tech--was was the go to teacher for anything new you wanted to try. Learned news apps every week, upgraded as they disappeared and new apps took their places. No problem. But they never usurped my presence, and I used them only when they supported my mission. Now I am getting emails every 4 hours about about new apps and platforms to use asap. It is too much, because I am thinking about teaching when I need to be a learner. It is tough to be both all the time.

I am an English teacher: you know, readin' and writin'.That is all we have to do together.

No comments: