22 April 2011

READICIDE: Review

Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do about ItReadicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do about It by Kelly Gallagher

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Well, this certainly confirmed my instincts about the Year of Reading I imposed on my junior classes. Instead of using the 26 minutes per cycle I have been allotted for SAT review this year(!?!), I decided that my honors students and I would be reading, all year, for no grade, whatever we chose(1 out of 6 days). Kelly Gallagher wrote a book that delineated all my reasons, and surprise, surprise, my results have been exactly as he predicted. Their reading skills in assigned readings have improved, their vocab and writing is smoother and more precise, and we have become a team because of the shared experience of reading every week. I plan on using this book as evidence when I am questioned about my unique take on SAT. Thank you, Mr. Gallagher.



View all my reviews

No comments: